The American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress® is a multidisciplinary network of professionals who are committed to the advancement of intervention for survivors of trauma. The Academy in collaboration with the National Center for Crisis Management aims to identify expertise among professionals, across disciplines, and provide standards for those who provide intervention to survivors of traumatic events. Members are provided with the opportunity to apply for Diplomate and Fellowship status. Members can also obtain certification in one or more of the 14 specialty areas offered within the Traumatic Stress Specialties Program (click here for more information) or four specialty areas within the Crisis Management Specialties Program (click here for more information).
The Academy's international membership includes individuals from over 200 professions and specialties in the health-related fields, emergency services, criminal justice, forensics, law, business and education. The international membership includes professionals from across the United States and over 30 foreign countries.The Academy defines traumatic stress as, “the emotional, cognitive, behavioral, physiological experience of individuals who are exposed to, or who witness, events that overwhelm their coping and problem-solving abilities." The Academy's mission is to increase awareness of the effects of traumatic events and, ultimately, to improve the quality of intervention with survivors.
Traumatic stress has many "faces.” In addition to the devastating effects of large-scale disasters and catastrophes, the Academy is committed to fostering a greater appreciation of the effects of day-to-day traumatic experiences (e.g., chronic illness, accidents, domestic violence and loss). Our aim is to help all victims to become survivors and, ultimately, thrivers.
Benefits of Membership with The American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress:
1. Dual Membership in the American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress and its sister organization - The National Center for Crisis Management.
2. The Opportunity to apply for:
All certifications are recognized by both The American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress and its sister organization - The National Center for Crisis Management.
3. The use of the Academy's Credentials (click here for details)
4. Professional certificates denoting Academy membership and Academy credentials in collaboration with The National Center for Crisis Management (click here to view certificates)
5. The ability to network with professionals, from over 200 professions and specialties, across the United States and in over 30 foreign countries, who work with survivors of traumatic events.
6. Listing in the Professional Directory of the American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress. This Directory serves as a referral network for professionals who regularly work with survivors of traumatic events and crisis situations (click here to view the Directory).
7. An opportunity to participate in The National Center for Crisis Management's Premier Trainers and Speakers Bureau (click here to view application)
8. Opportunities for Members to publish and/or distribute their own books, products and services. (click here for details)
9. A Code of Ethical and Professional Standards (click here for details)
10. Continuing Educational Credits