About The Academy
The American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress® is a multidisciplinary
network of professionals who are committed to the advancement of intervention for survivors of trauma. The Academy
aims to identify expertise among professionals, across disciplines, and to provide meaningful standards for those
who work regularly with survivors.
Today, our international membership includes individuals from over 200 professions in the health-related fields,
emergency services, criminal justice, forensics, law, business and education. With Members in every state of the
United States and over 55 foreign countries, our association is the largest organization of its kind in the world.
The Academy defines traumatic stress as, “the emotional, cognitive, behavioral, physiological experience of individuals
who are exposed to, or who witness, events that overwhelm their coping and problem-solving abilities." Our
mission is to increase awareness of the effects of traumatic events and, ultimately, to improve the quality of
intervention with survivors.
Traumatic stress has many "faces.” In addition to the devastating effects of large-scale disasters and catastrophes,
the Academy is committed to fostering a greater appreciation of the effects of day-to-day traumatic experiences
(e.g., chronic illness, accidents, domestic violence and loss). Our aim is to help all victims to become
survivors and, ultimately, thrivers.
In this spirit the Academy offers:
- Membership/associate membership in a prestigious professional association,
- Board Certification Programs,
- Diplomate and Fellow Credentials,
- continuing education credits,
- Trauma Response®, Trauma Response®
InfosheetsTM and Trauma Response®,
E-News, the official publications of the Academy,
- listing in The International Registry of The American Academy of Experts in Traumatic StressTM,
- award winning Internet sites at www.aaets.org and www. traumatic-stress.org, and
- a Code of Ethical & Professional Standards.